Foray into Film

Here lies a selection of my favourite negatives shot on the last 4 rolls of film. I know the final product is the most important thin...



Here lies a selection of my favourite negatives shot on the last 4 rolls of film. I know the final product is the most important thing, but bear in mind the effort that has gone into these:

My camera has no meter to help get the exposure right. Based on a rule of thumb ( sunny 16) i set the camera as i go compensating and checking against the yard sticks. There is no auto focus. heck, it doesn't even have batteries.

I get about 30ish frames per roll. depending how many i load onto a cartridge. sometimes its 28, sometimes 39. I have to make them count!

on sunday evenings, I then have to spend an hour developing a couple of rolls at a time with smelly chemicals in the bathroom. Normally i warm up for this exercise by swearing profusely whilst loading the film into a daylight tank in a dark changing bag. i normally have to redo this at least once and the result is frustration and scratched negatives

once the rolls are developed, I hang them up to dry before scanning them on a flat bed scanner. It takes ages. maybe 5 -10 minutes per 6 photos.

Then i bring them into photo editing software...and do nothing. Its a shame to lose the feeling of the film. and honestly, by this point i can't be bothered.

refrain:

Images are more throw away now than ever. It's so quick to take a photo and share it that we rarely look deeper into an image; to take our time to explore it. Sadly all art forms are suffering as a byproduct. 

Going through this process has taught me a great deal about photography. on a technical level, but also a cultural level. I need to give good work i find more time to take it in, and i need to give each image more time when first capturing it. and after all that, if its not worth it, then don't take it. I hope I can extend this approach into digital, and then on to other facets of life

I hope you can enjoy some of the pictures that have come out of this as i learn more about the medium.

-TT










  


 












 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.